Basic definitions: here are some basic definitions that will help in reviewing this document. Unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
- when we say “you” (and its variations) we mean you as an individual.
- when we say “we” we mean Solvay and Syensqo (unless stated otherwise) with headquarters address at:
- Solvay, located at: Rue Wolume-Saint-Etienne, 55, 1130 Haren (Brussels), Belgium
- Syensqo, located at: Rue de la Fusée, 98-100, 1130 Haren (Brussels), Belgium
Solvay and Syensqo, as data controllers, collect and process personal data relating to you in order to offer you to apply online for a job in Solvay and/or Syensqo and to allow us to manage your application. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use such data.
Below you will find more information about the conditions under which we process your personal data as controllers (i.e. the legal entity which decides on the purposes and means of the processing of your personal data), and/or processors (i.e. the legal entity which processes personal data on behalf of the controller), your rights and our obligations in relation to such processing pursuant to the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”).
What is “personal data”?
Personal data means the data we collect about you and that can be used to identify you directly (i.e. based on a piece of data alone such as name, surname, mail adresse etc.) or indirectly (i.e. from that data in combination with other data that is available or likely to be available).
What personal data is collected about me?
We may collect and process the following categories of personal data, as part of our activities and, where applicable, legal obligations as employer:
- identification data such as name, surname, address, place and date of birth, civil status, language, nationality, gender, age or disability , education history, professional experience, relevant skills, seniority, CV, hobbies, qualifications and letters of application, letters of recommendation. Some additional information such as your ethnic origin or ID documents might be legally required in some countries.
When using the recruiting tool features to apply to a job opening, you are solely responsible for collecting, inputting and updating all your data that you provide us when using the recruiting tool and for ensuring:
a) your data does not include anything that actually or potentially infringes or misappropriates the copyright, trade secret, trademark or other intellectual property right of any third party or contain anything that is obscene, defamatory, harassing, offensive or malicious;
b) and that you have collected and handled all data in compliance with all applicable data protection laws, rules and regulations;
c) the accuracy and reliability of the data for the purpose of using the features of the Recruiting tool.
Why is my personal data collected and on which legal basis?
Legal basis for the processing
We are not allowed to process personal data if we do not have a valid legal ground. Therefore, we are allowed to process your personal data for the following purposes:
- take pre-contractual steps upon your recruitment, as the case may be, if our recruiting team finds that your application fits to an open job opportunity;
- join our Talent Community and be regularly informed about our latest news and receive new posting notifications and alerts, as part of our legitimate interests.
Please note that the provision of certain personal data is necessary for us to enter into a contract with you and perform our obligations under such contract. Failure to provide the necessary personal data will hinder our ability to properly manage your application and offer you the possibility to apply online for a job in Solvay and/or Syensqo.
Please do not transmit sensitive information to us such as your political opinion, your philosophical and religious opinion, your membership of a trade union or a political party, your physical and mental health, your sexual orientation, or a legal proceeding.
Purposes of the processing
We require your personal data to carry out our activities and, where applicable, fulfill our obligations as your (future) employer, and in particular for the following specific purposes:
we collect your personal data with the aim to enable you to apply online and to allow us to manage your application. If our recruiting team finds that your profile matches a job opportunity, you may be contacted to move forward in the selection process.
Who has access to my personal data?
In the course of our activities under this recruiting process and for the same purposes as those mentioned above, your personal data can be accessed by or shared internally (e.g. with members of our HR teams, line managers), internal advisors (e.g. legal department) and IT staff and administrators. For application to Solvay, only Solvay staff will access your data. For application to Syensqo, both Syensqo and Solvay staff will access your data, Solvay being contracted as Syensqo data processor. Such access will be limited to strictly authorized personnel on a need-to-know basis.
Your personal data may also be accessed by and shared with the following categories of recipients to achieve the above purposes:
- third parties who process personal data, such as our IT systems providers, cloud services providers, database providers and security service providers and only to authorized persons who may need to access to your personal data in order to streamline and improve the recruitment process;
- our external advisors, external lawyers, accountants and consultants in order to ensure legal and regulatory compliance of the recruitment process;
- where required by applicable law or at their request, national judicial courts, arbitrators, mediators, inspection services and tax authorities;
The personal data transferred internally or externally as set out in this section may also be processed in a country outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") not offering an adequate level of personal data protection.
If your personal data is transferred to such countries, we guarantee that appropriate safeguards are ensured. We can offer you any additional information in this respect about the applicable safeguard upon your request, if you wish to exercise your rights as set out below.
For how long is my personal data stored?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is collected and processed or to comply with our legal or regulatory requirements.
We will purge your personal data collected for the candidate profile i) after a 6 month period starting either from i) your or the administrator’s deletion of your profile or ii) immediately after a 6 month-period of inactivity on your profile (if you have not logged to your profile for 6 months). In the latter case, we will send you a candidature purge notification one (1) month before the end of the 6 month delay to warn you that without any log to your profile the personal data is purged in one month.
In any case, your personal data for the candidate profile will not be purged while a job offer to which you applied is still active.
The personal data collected for a job offer to which you applied will be purged at the end of a six (6) month period following a closed, withdrawn or disqualified job application status.
What are my rights in relation to the processing of my personal data?
As a data subject, you have a number of rights. Under the conditions and within the limits of the GDPR, you can:
- access and obtain a copy of your personal data on request;
- require that we rectify your inaccurate or incomplete personal data;
- require that we erase or stop processing your data (e.g. where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing);
- require the restriction of your personal data processing;
- request that the personal data you have provided to us be returned to you or transferred to someone else in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. The latter right must be exercised in compliance with your confidentiality duties; or
- withdraw your consent where we relied on the latter to process personal data (without this withdrawal affecting the lawfulness of processing prior to the withdrawal).
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact the following address: email@example.com.
In addition, you also have the right - if you believe that we have not complied with your data protection rights - to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of the country or region of your usual place of residence, your place of work or the place of the alleged infringement.
How do we ensure the protection of my personal data?
We have implemented adequate technical and organizational measures to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed by unauthorized individuals.
Our recruiting tool rules
By registering and using this recruiting tool, you are agreeing:
- to keep your user name and passwords safe and confidential;
- to comply with the laws of the jurisdictions in which you are located and to which you are communicating, and not to use the Recruiting tool in any abusive or unlawful manner;
- to not modify, interfere, decompile, decrypt or reverse-engineer this Recruiting tool or content for any reason;
- that, even if Solvay and Syensqo are not obliged to, they have the right to monitor digital tool activity and take reasonable action to protect such tool and its visitors against unauthorized use or violations;
- that Solvay and Syensqo may, for technical or other reasons, suspend or terminate the functioning of the Recruiting tool, or your registration or use of the latter.
If you do not agree with the recruiting tool rules, do not register with, or use the recruiting tool. By registering with, or using the recruiting tool, you agree to these recruiting tool rules. These rules may change from time to time. Your continued use of the recruiting tool after we revise these rules means you accept those changes, so please check the policy periodically for updates.
You acknowledge that Solvay and Syensqo disclaim representation and warranty or liability whether express, implied, oral or written regarding the Recruiting tool, including without limitation any representations or warranties, accuracy of content, loss of data, unavailability of the services, inaccuracy of transmission, or other commitments of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or of satisfactory quality or that Recruiting tool services are free from minor errors or bugs or will be uninterrupted, even if we are expressly advised of the possibility of such damages.
You agree that Solvay and Syensqo will have no liability whatsoever in connection with your use of the recruiting tool or the results or lack thereof which you may obtain with such use, and any recommendation or advice obtained from the recruiting tool. Without limiting the foregoing, Solvay and Syensqo make the recruiting tool service available on an “as-is, where-is, together with all faults” basis, and all risks associated with the use thereof lie solely and exclusively with you.
Always subject to the above disclaimer, the information on the recruiting tool is presented in good faith for general information purposes only, and it is our intention to keep the information on the recruiting tool accurate, complete and up-to-date. In this connection, we may update such information from time to time, as well as make improvements and/or changes in the recruiting tool service at any time without notice.
Intellectual property rights
Please be aware that this recruiting tool is a digital tool and its contents, including trademarks, names and other distinctive signs, texts, logos, icons, graphics, schemes, images and photographs, as well as the “look and feel” of the digital tool (“digital tool elements”) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by or duly licensed to Solvay and Syensqo. You can copy web page documents or contents from this digital tool, but only for your own private use and/or non-commercial purposes.
You retain ownership and intellectual property rights in and to the data and you grant to us a limited, royalty-free, non-exclusive and non-transferable license, to copy, store, configure, perform, display and transmit your data solely as necessary for us to provide the services offered when using the recruiting tool for as long as you use the application.
We assume no liability in connection with the use of the recruiting tool to perform in any manner whatsoever or to achieve any results.
Governing law and competent jurisdiction
All matters relating to the recruiting tool and any dispute or claim arising therefrom or related thereto (in each case, including non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed in all respect by the laws of Belgium, excluding the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sales of Goods.
In the event of any dispute regarding the interpretation or the performance of these recruiting tool rules, we shall first attempt to settle it amicably through negotiation. If this is unsuccessful, we irrevocably agree that the courts of Brussels (Belgium) shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with these rules or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims). All proceedings and disputes shall be conducted in the English language.
Any cause of action or claim you may have arising out of or relating to these recruiting tool rules or the website must be commenced within one (1) year after the cause of action accrues, otherwise, such cause of action or claim is permanently barred.