High-performance materials for electrolyzers and fuel cell systems
Syensqo ìs advanced materials for hydrogen systems support today’s leading technology platforms. Our offer includes ionomers and high-performance polymers, which are found in the core, the stack and the plant. You’ll find our products employed in applications as diverse as membranes, electrode binders, electrolyzer and fuel cell gaskets, diaphragms, cell frames and end plates, as well as in thermal management and air systems. Continue reading to learn about our broad hydrogen offer.
Our broad portfolio of advanced materials for hydrogen production improves electrolyzer systems, most notably by contributing to increased power density, enhanced material durability, and shorter production cycle times. Our electrolyzer technologies are used in the unit cell as well as in the balance of the stack.
- Aquivion® ionomers - Ion-conducting polymers are used for producing membranes for proton exchange membrane electrolysis, and can also be used as electrode cathodes and anode binders. Aquivion® ionomers offer superior proton conductivity with good mechanical, thermal and chemical stability, widening the operating window of electrolyzers.
- Udel® - Udel® is a rigid polysulfone polymer for an alkaline aqueous electrolyzer diaphragm and cell frames, and for proton exchange membrane electrolysis cell frames. Udel® exhibits high strength, high heat resistance, and superior hydrolytic stability/chemical stability compared to polycarbonate.
- Ryton® PPS - Ryton® PPS can be used for cell frames and valves found in alkaline aqueous electrolyzers. This polyphenylene sulfide is a semicrystalline polymer offering exceptional chemical resistance and dimensional stability for components. It can be precision-molded to tight tolerances with high reproducibility to support the complex design and serial production.
PEM Fuel Cell Systems
Tackling challenges related to cost, efficiency and performance are critical to large-scale adoption of fuel cell systems. Syensqo’s broad offer for PEM fuel cells covers products for the unit cell (membrane electrode assembly), the fuel cell stack, and the auxiliary system, all of which are designed to address cost, performance, and durability requirements.
- Amodel® PPA - Amodel® PPA polyphthalamide polymers expand thermal management solutions for endplates. They improve dimensional stability, lower moisture uptake, and enhance chemical resistance. Additionally, they work well wherever complex geometries require robust thermo-mechanical properties, such as in pressure-regulating valves, hydrogen-injection components, coolant pumps, thermostatic multi-flow valves, knock-off valves, and electrical motors.
- Aquivion® PFSA - Aquivion® PFSA ion-conducting polymers for hydrogen-fueled proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells offer chemical and thermal stability for membranes and electrode binders, enabling fast and efficient conversion of hydrogen to electricity.
- Radel® PPSU - Radel® PPSU delivers impact strength similar to polycarbonate (PC) and offers better chemical resistance than polyetherimide (PEI). It excels in high heat and humidity environments and allows for operating temperatures around 200°C (392°F) in subgaskets.
- Ryton® PPS - Ryton® PPS polymers offer thermal, mechanical, dimensional, and chemical stability. All grades screened exhibit low leach-out, which is vital to ensure a long lifetime of the fuel cell stack. Therefore, Ryton® PPS polymers are suitable for use in high- and low-pressure H2 lines, coolant pumps, thermostatic multi-flow valves, coolant lines (in and out), knock-off valves, battery cooling lines, and coolant (in and out) pipes for compressors. These polymers are inherently flame retardant and expand thermal management solutions for endplates and humidifier flow plates, improving dimensional stability, lowering moisture uptake, enhancing chemical resistance, and improving performance in stiffness.
- Torlon® PAI - Torlon® PAI is a high-performance, melt-processable thermoplastic with exceptional impact, dielectric and compressive strength, ideal for use as a well-adhering binder additive in anti-corrosion coatings for metal-based bipolar plates. This amorphous polymer offers outstanding resistance to wear, creep and chemicals, and performs well under severe and harsh service conditions up to 260°C (500°F).